2006 Contrivance Dakota consumer reviews

$20,340–$23,190 MSRP range

side view of 2006 Dakota Dodge

78% of drivers recommend this car

Rating breakdown (out of 5):

  • Condolement four.0
  • Interior design 3.8
  • Performance 3.eight
  • Value for the coin 3.9
  • Exterior styling 4.iv
  • Reliability 4.0

i of the best midsized trucks ive owned

most of the reviews I've seen on this truck are people that I believe don't work on there ain vehicles. I did have some trouble in the beginning with it being used when bought. I fixed it upward, installed a performance chip and new air intake, works like a dazzler. only time I had it restriction downward on me was due to a snapped sway bar. (previous possessor snapped it besides and welded it instead of replacing information technology). I use my v8 for recreation and work and does non fail to please. my suggest is to have some work on it when you become it to fix those troubleing dodge manual problems. I installed the new air intake to fix it from drowning in snow and overheating which was one of the little tweaks I did. when taken care of properly, it can exist the all-time choice of midsized trucks compared to rangers and southward 10s.

Show total review

Work truck

Solid $6000 piece of work truck. Decent mileage and bigger than Ford Ranger and Chevy Colorado. Basic, easy to clean interior with a decent audio system. Long cycle base of operations for its class, tows over 5k.

Prove full review

Dakota Does Everything Well And Is Merely Right Size

Got an '06 SLT Quad cab with 87,000 for $12k. The clearcoat still looks exhibit new. Driver seat a little mushy, may accept to find a seat bottom replacement. I've got the 4.7 base V8 with the 6sp manual. Great shifting driveline....smooth clutch....excellent gear spacing. Brakes rock solid. Gas mileage respectable just non great. I use this for mostly in-town errands and calorie-free structure hauling tools, drywall, etc. Interior is a bit spartan, but this truck has Zilch rattles and squeaks at 87k. Gauges are really easy to learn. Knobs and dials are piece of cake to utilise, fifty-fifty with gloves on. Final week the temp dropped to -7 and the un-garaged Dakota fired right up. Had an Barrage that performed well, and a Cadillac EXT that performed brilliantly, but at xi mpg they were simply too large and had significant bullheaded spots. The Dakota darts around and fits nicely into parking spots.

Show full review

Nice pickup

Bought my 06 Dodge, auto trans and V8, in late 2007 with approx. 15,000 miles. At present take 99,000 miles and have done null but regular service. Mileage is not keen but it is a V8. Have pulled a small camper hands. Have moved a load of landscape rock with no problems. Outside is a dainty looking vehicle. Interior is as they say - lot of plastic and apparently - I like the plainly. The material for the seats could be improve but and then far has held up well. For a smaller pickup it does a great job.

Show full review

wonderful truck

I've been drivng this truck for several weeks now and I accept to say that it has surpassed my expectations! Information technology drives very smoothly on the backroads as well as the highway. I've never driven a truck that handles better and the gas mileage has been very adept for a V-8. ( 18 - 20 MPG) It has fantastic acceleration when needed but is very balmy -mannered and smooth at cruising speeds or in traffic. The interior is quiet and relaxing on a trip and the stereo sounds good. The only drawback, and it is pocket-sized, is the upholstery. I do wish they would accept used a higher quality cloth there. Overall I'm impressed with it. I'grand glad I bought it!

Show full review

Very fashionable pickup

I just dearest a Dodge Dakota They are roomy for two people I had two different ones. Ane was a standard-five speed. I had slit of trouble with transmission The motorcar dealer would non make information technology right. Just I own an automatic at present and no major problems with tranny.

Show full review

nice midsized truck

Squeamish truck overall. 4 door, 4 WD, four.8 L V8 gasoline engine, tow hitch integrated with the frame and rear bumper. Recently did very well on a iii,000 mile cantankerous land trip. Adequate size bed. Exactly the type of truck I need. Would probably add together a camper acme as a personal preference.

Show total review

non the 1 for me

I bought this truck for the Dodge name, and I like the smaller version of the Ram. My mistake was getting the 6 cylinder engine. It is very slow to take off. The interior is very plain. Go with the large horn package and the 8 cylinder, if you like ability, speed, functioning, and a great stereo package. I will be trading this ane in on a Large Horn shortly. The steering is wonderful compared to my old Ranger.

Testify full review

Each is doifferent

Both the vehicle for the advent and depression miles: 41k. Dealer was very helpful in adding receiver hitch and mirror with temperature and direction. Front driver's bicycle restriction locked up with only 4k miles, dealer helped start cost. Less than 5k later driver's side front bike bearing went out. Dealer said it was his mechanc's trouble that the bicycle begetting went out. Takes bumps hard on front end end, and front wheels and drive shaft noisy compared to Chevy Colorado. Gas mileage for a Dodge 6 cylinder was poor 15 to sixteen miles per gallon compared to Chevy Colorado 5 cylinder with 20 - 22 miles per gallon. Chevy 5 cylinder also had more ability. Added East-Con power programmer past Hypertech - gained 1 to ii miles per gallon.

Prove full review

2006 Dakota

Purchased a 2006 Dakota 4x4 with the 4.7 V8 with about 59K miles. Overall, I am happy with the purchase although I had to replace the rack & pinion assembly a week afterward I bought it. It was fine when I bought it (checked under the truck for leaks) only started losing fluid after a weekend where I put near 1000 miles on the truck. Other than that, I love the truck.

Prove full review

Great truck

Originally purchased used with 22k miles on it. Afterward 4 years and 64k miles, its just as reliable equally new. Regular oil changes and i new battery. Fuel consumption is what I would expect from a V8. Interior is no-nonsense and straight forward. It does take power windows/locks etc, simply no leather, GPS, Bluetooth etc. If thats what you want, await elsewhere. This is a truck. I've driven on 1500 mile road trips and trips around boondocks. It always starts, the a/c ever blow cold, the backseat carries friends, and the bed carries annihilation you want. I would recommend this truck.

Show full review

Best Truck for the money

The Dodge Dakota is the but true mid-size pickup truck. An developed could actualy sit in the back seat. It besides was made in the good former U.s. in Warren Truck Assembly in Warren, Michigan. Ihighly recomend this truck if you do alot

Show full review

95,000 + Miles

I truly love this truck. The engine has been strong, and performs well. Nonetheless, it does like its gas. The truck has done corking in meeting all my needs. The merely bug that I have had, has been the front suspension. Also, the driver seat needs to be restuffed. Other than that, I accept no doubtfulness that this truck will still be performing beyond the 200,000 mile mark.

Show full review

Truck-similar

2006 Dakota Ext Cab 4x4 Magnum V8 Upside: Bang-up handling, solid pause, good V8 performance on/off highway and under load, certain-footed in snowfall, placidity cab, quiet motor, good instrumentation, clean torso pattern. Downside: Poor gas mileage, poor visibility, spartan interior, hard seating, crude ride on dorsum roads. Purchased (used) for hauling a pocket-sized stock trailer which it handles extremely well. Very stable and predictable under load. This is a no-nonsense larger mid-size that performs well for what information technology is designed to practise (while drinking a lot of fuel). However, if you need a costly hauler with more creature comforts and accommodations - expect elsewhere.

Show full review

Solid Truck with Some Muscle

This is a great mid-sized truck for towing. I tin can tow up to 7200lbs and have used information technology to tow a horse trailer. While towing is its strong suit, information technology is non a very comfortable vehicle. Information technology is miserable on a roadtrip. Information technology is fairly spacious inside for a truck merely only barely accomodates a carseat. This is more of an around town hobby/projection vehicle.

Testify full review

biggest piece of junk ive e'er had

The best place for this truck is the junkyard. Ive had many pickups over the past twenty 6 years. Dodge lost their edge.

Bear witness full review

practiced buy

had 42000 miles and a good manitenance record. Paid 11,200 cash. Just drove it 3000 miles on its starting time road trip. Got 22 mph highway, flat roads.

Show total review

Keen Truck

First road trip I got 23 mpg. Better and so the vehicle I have now thatis supposed to become 26 mpg. So far I can non say anything bad most this wonderful truck.

Show full review

I hope i got a lemon and theyre not all like this!

I've never been more dissapointed! I came from a Tundra with a 4.7 5-8 hoping for improve gas mileage. The look of it was so pretty! After buying information technology, i started noticing footling things... the power was terribly defective! I mean, i've had 4 and half-dozen cylinder vehicles before simply I've never been worried about getting up to speed during blitz hour traffic earlier! NO KIDDING! The gas mileage was worse than in my tundra! between 11 and 12 mpg! The fuel gauge is then unreliable I've learned to travel with a gallon tin can of fuel and then I don't have to worry. Information technology shows full for a while and then plummets to empty like it'southward got a hole in the bottom of the tank. If it reads one/8th when i close down, it usually reads empty when i start up again! So other niggling things started to nag at me... no ash tray for spare change or parking tokens... only ane space in the center that's terribly shallow and the glove box which is already total with but the manual in it. Cup holders don't proceed cups from spilling and you can't fit a regular size drink on the rider side. In that location'due south only one 12volt hookup. The following is what pushed me over the border: I tried to back up onto my front lawn to unload some sod near my back gate and idea i'd kick in the 4wd (get-go time) so i didnt spin out on my front end lawn and ruin it... back wheels already up on the backyard, front wheels up against the adjourn (6" - i merely measured it!). I put information technology into 4Lock - NOT Enough Power TO GET Upwardly THE CURB! Nix! And, apparently, if the front wheels don't turn, neither do the back wheels! What is the use of that? And one time in 4WD, there's no turning without dragging the wheels around with you lot because they're locked to turn together! I couldn't make a turn in the intersection without backing up - drive, screech, drive, screech,bulldoze... Now.. i don't know, merely information technology seems to me that there'south something terribly wrong with that! What exactly IS that supposed to be used for? I'k the 2nd owner and just out of mfg warranty. The blinkers fail intermittently, the airbag light comes on occaasionally but leaves no error code on the computer, and the switch that unlocks the shifter from park to bulldoze has had to be replaced. On a dirt route later a heavy rain, I'd feel safer in my one-time honda accord! And all I can say is... Human being, do I miss my Tundra!!

Testify total review

QuadCab OK with the fiddling three.7v6

QC, 3.6L v6 car, SLT 4x4 55K miles. 2nd Owner, purchassed with 34K. I haul lite duty (dirt bikes & 19' bowrider gunkhole) to and from the SC tracks or NC lakes (~75 mile roundtrip). Although the niggling V6 could use some more than ability, it does well and does exactly what I expected. Small truck less power, and less gas... but then once more it all depends on where you?re coming from... I came from a 350 Blazer with ten mpg. 17 mpg + a polish ride seems quite an improvement. Fits a full-sized family unit of 4, hauls my junk when needed, and does well on light off-roading. Did well in four-6" of WV snow, just having the 4x4 with 4WLock mode made climbing the rutted hill surprisingly like shooting fish in a barrel. Still can?t figure manner they?d make a truck without front ABS. All-in-all, I'd say information technology?s a keeper.

Show total review

Nix but problems !

vehicle has been a lemon since 3 days after purchased. several complaints, regarding engine(rough idle) poor gas mileage, brakes, poor handling, outside noise, frazzle, engine has been opened upwardly and new head replaced runs worse each time repair attempted. only choice was lemon law suit.

Show full review

Very solid

I savour my Dakota. I have the crew cab 4 wheel drive V8. Tons of ability tin can pull almost anything. I have had no propblems at all witht he truck 50K miles on information technology now runs like the solar day I bought it. In the snow in 4 wheel drive I feel similar I can go anywhere.

Show full review

Slap-up option up for everything

All around this is a bully pickup truck. There's nothing information technology can't do (except haul a trailer full of horses). Bully to go out and 4x4. No complaints.

Show full review

seems to be a solid truck

This is my 1st truck i always bought. I rented a 2007 in the summer to tow my brother in laws 19ft 4 winns gunkhole which is pretty heavy and it did a skillful job for towing it because information technology was a v6 3.7 so I bought a 2006 with the 3.vii v6 due to gas prices. I'am 6ft 5 inches tall and for a mid size truck I take ample leg room. I live in milwaukee wi where nosotros got striking with a lot of snow storms this winter and in 4x4 mode the truck goes thru the snow like a tank without loosing traction on the freeway or streets. The v6 is simply a piffling underpowered when you hit a hill or grade information technology always has to downshift to maintain speed and the EPA on the v8s are only i mile per gallon less so I would reccomend the v8 but the v6 will work decent. The only problem Ive had so far is my wipers and foglamps plough on past themselvs which may be acquired by static electricity. They merits the gear up is to flash the instrument cluster coumputer just the dealer wont do this for me unless they tin can indistinguishable the trouble which can be hard to do since its caused by static electricity. Overall the quad cab 3.7 v6 dode dakota is a nice truck that has many uses and applications such as towing a boat , moving stuff , skilful daily driver , and comfortbly sits the family.

Evidence total review

Sweetness Truck

My Dakota is a 2006 Quad Cab 4x4 with the V-6 engine. It bought it in March of 2007, brand new off the lot. I opted for the V-six considering of gas prices (of course) and the fact the largest thing I plan to tow is a surplus military jeep trailer or a couple of JetSkis. The handling is not bad and it has a very stable ride. The horsepower and pick-up is a little weak for climbing or passing, merely non a real problem. Afterwards all, I'thousand driving a truck, not a dragster and I never rush to become anywhere. Similar all married men, the truck is "mine", but the wife seems to exist borrowing it every time I turn around. I only have two complaints with the truck. 1- No Posi-traction rear end gearing. 2- Tin can only utilize "S" Class chains on the rear tires and none at all on the forepart. It doesn't make sense why Dodge would blueprint and build a 4x4 truck that can't be chained up for serious use, like Elk Hunting in Colorado. I at present joking telephone call my Dakota a "Soccer Mom Truck." Never the less, I even so love my Dakota. If anyone out there has whatever ideas how I tin can safely change the truck and then I tin throw some serious chains on it, delight let me know.

Testify total review

i wanted a truck,

i wanted a truck and then i was out looking and the 2006 trx off road defenseless my eye (i liked the wheels) couple weeks ago i was driving down the road and the whole truck shut off similar i shut off the primal. (it merely has 15k on it) took information technology to the dealership they hooked it to cheque if a signal was sent by the calculator (zip) so lets come across if it does information technology again. likewise the key blueprint it awful, i'd rather have the lock/unlock buttons separate from the primal. afterwards only a yr my cardinal is actually groovy. other than that i love my truck

Bear witness full review

OUTSTANDING

I have a 4door(4X2) Dark RUNNER. The only thing I can say that is not to my liking is going over a speedbump. You lot MUST be straight across information technology or you will really see the need of a seat belt. Swell training tool for those who practise not similar seat belts. I love my truck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Show full review

Swell TRUCK!

THESE TRUUCKS ARE NOT ONLY TOUGH AS NAILS, Just WHEN TOSSED INTO 4WD It WILL GO ANYWHERE@Someday! THUMBS UP ON DODGE DAKOTA

Testify full review

This truck is a Dog!

I've come up to the sad realization that if a truck manufacturer has to offer deep discounts to move a truck, there must be a reason. I was taken in by the $iv,000.00 factory rebate and bought a 2006 Quad Cab Dakota. With the v6engine, this thing can't even get out of it's own way! I wouldn't mind the languor so much if information technology got decent gas miliage, but it dosn't (15 mpg combined city and hwy.), and I'yard far from an agressive driver. The controls are well laid out and like shooting fish in a barrel to use, but the cup holders are almost worthless, espically for the big cups. I but have 9,000 miles on it, and already have an annoying rattle from underneath (I hate to call back what it will sound similar after 90,000 miles, but information technology won't be me driving it at that point). Sorry I didn't spend the extra money and buy a Toyota Tacoma. Want to buy a Dakota?...Mine will shortly be for sale.

Show full review

Review from Echo Dakota Heir-apparent

Given that Contrivance dealers periodically offering steep discounts on the Dakota which are non offered by Toyota on the Tacoma, the toll was recently right for me to purchase my second Dodge Dakota. I paid $20K for a $30K 2006 Dakota Quad Cad Sport (with all the whistles and bells of the Laramie), and I Honey the new truck. The Alpine stereo system with amplifier represents the all-time car stereo I've ever heard at all volume levels. My Dakota drives and handles just like a car, and I much adopt the interior layout of the Dakota over the Tacoma. Toyota tin keep their un-discounted, expensive Tacomas - I'll stick with my Dakota.

Show total review